Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Circles and tunnel vision

Well I lasted 3 straight days haha... There's alot to catch up on!

Our major project for architecture this semester is an art gallery with a theme of our choice. Many people have at this stage chosen just to design a gallery for paintings, digital art, theatrical etc. I've chosen to do an Aboriginal art gallery.


Personally I feel that aboriginies are undervalued in Brisbane, and as far as I know there are no permanent galleries, or even temporary ones at the moment, exhibiting their well known and unique style. Just flicking through a bit of the history of Fortitude Valley and Brisbane, it's pretty clear they have always been a significant part of our history, often in negative ways. I'm quite excited about designing a space for them. This is also one of the hardest stages of a project as well, as you start to consider how to go about designing the thing. There are so many things to consider: context, space arranging, the form of the building, the list goes on.
If I'm organized enough this week I hope to start exploring building shapes by making lots of quick models from cardboard and sticky tape. It's so much fun and lots of original ideas can be generated through this.

As all Brisbanites should know, last night the Clem7 tunnel was opened! There seems to be a fair bit of controversy over things such as the toll, but hopefully that will settle down soon enough. Tonight I drove through it myself, and I gotta say it was exciting! North to south was a smooth run, and I took in every moment of the trip. There's lots of flashing lights and signs and it was hard to imagine we were so far underground, pretty cool! On the way back however, even though it was 9.30 at night, we probably did about 40km/hr most of the way, there was so much traffic! Clearly everyone was out to have a look, lots of sports cars were around cruising through. I can't work out why it was congested north bound and not south bound, because at the end of the tunnel things were all clear. Another cool thing is that in the tunnel they hack your radio!!! No matter what station you're on, every 2 mins on the way back a lady would come on and say 'this is the Clem7 control room, there is currently congestion in the tunnel. Please reduce your speed and keep a safe distance from the car in front'. Well it was along those lines anyway. It was cool to start with, then after about 10 mins got really annoying as it kept interrupting our songs on the radio.

Can a building get any more literal than this? I think they would fail my course... but I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment